Top 10 Accessories For Recording On An iPhone
Whether you are using Wurrly for your next karaoke party or WURRLYedu in your classrooms, you are going to need the right equipment! Call me a show pony, but I like to look the part when I strut up on stage, and with so many microphone and speaker options available, it’s hard to know which ones to choose!
This week we decided to roll up our sleeves and make it easy on you by reviewing some microphones and recording accessories that work best with our apps and make the ideal set up. Now all you have to do is plug them into your smart device and get to singin’!
To get the party started you’re going to need some speakers! The Fender Passport EVENT is a self-contained portable audio system that includes everything you need for great sound anywhere you go. Carry your Passport as you would a suitcase, and simply flip open the cabinet release latches when you're ready to set it up. Inside you'll discover two full-range speaker cabinets and a powered mixer to get started. Teachers using WURRLYedu will find that this speaker system produces quality sound without overpowering the classroom. However, crank up the volume and you will have everyone rocking out at your next Wurrly karaoke party! The 5-channel mixer has 11 different inputs: Four XLR Mic/Line, one 1/4 inch Instrument/Line, one Stereo 1/4 inch, one Stereo 1/8 inch, and one Stereo Bluetooth. This way, you can form the proper band!
- Five-channel mixer
- 375 watts
- Built-in effects
- Bluetooth connectivity
Okay you’ve got the speakers, now you need a microphone! The Audix OM2 microphone has clear and accurate sound reproduction, resistance to feedback and ability to handle very high SPLs without distortion. It utilizes a tight, uniform pattern which helps isolate vocals from the instruments on stage. This mic has a wide frequency range diaphragm for a clear, precise sound with exceptional voice response. Designed with a slight bass proximity and a tailored mid-range, the OM2 microphone has a full-bodied sound on small to mid-sized PA systems while retaining true sound on large or professional PA systems. After testing the Audix with our apps, there is no denying it produces quality sound. Plug up to four Audix mics into your Fender Passport Event speaker system and everyone can join in on the fun!
- All purpose professional vocal mic for live sound, rehearsal rooms, & home studio
- Warm, full sound with slight bass proximity optimized for small to mid-size PA systems
- Provides excellent isolation on stage for outstanding feedback rejection while allowing the vocal to cut through the mix
- Handles high SPLs without distortion
- VLM Capsule
- Designed, assembled & tested in the USA
- 5 year warranty
The iKlip allows you to be hands free while performing so you can really channel your inner rockstar. You just might forget you’re recording and rock out like nobody’s watching! This spring-loaded smartphone clamp comfortably expands to fit iPhones, iPod touches, and virtually any other similarly sized device. Better yet, you don't even have to take off your gadget's protective case. You can attach your iKlip Xpand Mini to just about any microphone stand or boom arm. And, thanks to its locking ball joint, you can comfortably tilt, angle, and orient your device however you like! To fit your iPad or larger smart devices, check out the iKlip2.
- Sturdy, durable thermoplastic construction with sure-grip touch points – securely holds your iPad without scratching or marring it
- Universal Fit- holds any iPad (except the original model) without additional adapters
- Universal stand mount clip securely attaches to virtually any microphone stand up to 1.2” in diameter
- Multi-angle and multi-rotational adjustment allows precise positioning for optimal stage or studio viewing
- Quick-snap clips provide fast, secure iPad insertion
- Fast installation — iKlip installs on your mic stand in seconds with the twist of a knob
One thing that almost all iOS smart devices have in common is the lightning connector (charging port). Since the headphone jack is slowly but surely vanishing out of our lives, we highly recommend having the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adaptor handy. If you have a newer iOS device, this allows you to plug any 3.5mm audio plug into your iPhone like the good ol days! Obviously, if you have an older device then this adaptor isn’t necessary. Side Note: we have found that the lightning connector produces better sound quality due to the fact that it fits more securely than a 3.5mm audio plug.
6. iRig pro
This is a fantastic accessory to have in your “Wurrly Karaoke Kit.” The iRig Pro is the first full-featured compact audio and MIDI interface you can use with your XLR condenser mics, guitar, bass, keyboard (or other line-level source) and your MIDI controllers. It features an XLR/1/4" combo jack for connecting microphones and instruments (accepts XLR and 1/4" TS cables), and a MIDI input for plugging in your favorite controller. With this amazing recording accessory you can launch Wurrly or WURRLYedu and record electric guitar/bass, keyboards, vocals, harmonies and more directly into your phone! Whatever you're connecting to your device, iRig Pro has you covered. And iRig Pro comes with 2 connector cables: Lightning and USB, to ensure that you've got the right connections.
- Balanced input for a mic, unbalanced input for line-level or Hi-Z source, via XLR/1/4" combo jack connector
- Preamp gain control
- High-quality mic and instrument preamp, low noise, high definition
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz conversion
- MIDI IN, compatible with iRig MIDI cables
- +48V phantom power provided by included 9V battery
- Sturdy, durable construction
- Powered by mobile device or USB when plugged into Mac
- Lightning, USB, and MIDI cables included
The Singing Machine is a fantastic option to use with our apps! For the price, you won’t be disappointed. Whether you’re in a college dorm or having a get together with your family, the Singing Machine can dress up any casual setting. It takes all the aspects of karaoke and streamlines them easily through one device. It connects in a standard way and all the cables are included. The Singing Machine has its own speakers which are surprisingly loud for a unit of its size and price. The SML385BTW features two microphone inputs with separate volumes (perfect for singing back up)! You can purchase a 1/8″ stereo cable and use it to connect the machine’s audio into your iOS smart devices! WIth this device, we recommend purchasing a windscreen to place over the microphone to prevent any popping sounds.
- Top Loading CDG Player with Disco Light Effect
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming and Line In for your Music Device
- 2 Microphone Jacks with Volume Control
- 2 Digit LED Display
- Balance / Echo Controls and Auto Voice Control, Built-in Speaker
For those who want to steal the spotlight to get that solo record deal, this is the most popular microphone that we see TONS of Wurrliers using! It is extremely portable, it can fit right in your pocket along with your smartphone. All you have to do is launch Wurrly or WURRLYedu, select a song and connect your headphones to the additional jack for the audio! Here’s the key to success...keep the mini mic 3-4 inches away from your mouth during your performance to hear the highest audio quality. With these Mini Mics we also suggest using mini windscreens to prevent any unwanted blowing or pop sounds. Are you ready for the best part? It’s only 10 bucks!
- Serves as a recording device on any sound / voice memo app
- Directional microphone Two-way adaptor
- Works with most karaoke and voice recording apps
- Suggested app: Wurrly
The Apple EarPods are another great individual recording option because they are affordable and perform consistently well. For teachers, a lot of students may already have a pair of their own! If you’re using Wurrly to record in your bedroom or using WURRLYedu with your class, the inline remote with the integrated microphone produces clean audio. Remember, it is always important to find a good distance between your mouth and the microphone to prevent the audio from sounding muffled or too far away. After you have nailed that, you’re sounding like a rockstar!
- Control music and video playback
- Deeper, richer bass tones
- Greater protection from sweat and water. These Earbuds are designed to comfortably fit in-ear
- Talk straight into your Microphone without moving your head. The Microphone is perfectly positioned to enable you to speak without having to move your head
If you’re wanting to take your artistry to the next level, the Sennheiser Headphones with the Integrated Microphone should be your next move. These headphones produce a vibrant sound and punchy bass. They are universal for all smart devices with a 3.5 mm headphone jack, and feature a smart in-line remote control with integrated microphone for producing quality Wurrlies! Powerful neodymium magnets for stereo sound provide an excellent audio performance and the closed on-ear headphone design blocks outside noise. Head to the recording studio on our apps and see for yourself!
- Universal fit - compatible with virtually any smart phone in the market featuring 3.5mm headphone jack, including Android, Windows Mobile, RIM (Blackberry) and iOS devices
- Lightweight, on ear design with single sided cable is extremely comfortable for long listening sessions.
- Vibrant sound with punchy bass - high-output neodymium magnets for stereo sound with powerful bass response
- 2-year warranty